Safety / Survival / Army Field Manuals / AFM 3-05.70
10-1. Plants generally poison by—
Contact. This contact with a poisonous plant causes any type of
skin irritation or dermatitis.
Ingestion. This occurs when a person eats a part of a poisonous
Absorption or inhalation. This happens when a person either
absorbs the poison through the skin or inhales it into the respiratory
10-2. Plant poisoning ranges from minor irritation to death. A common
question asked is, "How poisonous is this plant?" It is difficult to
say how poisonous plants are because—
Some plants require a large amount of contact before you notice any
adverse reaction although others will cause death with only a small amount.
Every plant will vary in the amount of toxins it contains due to
different growing conditions and slight variations in subspecies.
Every person has a different level of resistance to toxic substances.
Some persons may be more sensitive to a particular plant.
10-3. Some common misconceptions about poisonous plants are—
Watch the animals and eat what they eat. Most of the time this
statement is true, but some animals can eat plants that are poisonous to
Boil the plant in water and any poisons will be removed. Boiling
removes many poisons, but not all.
Plants with a red color are poisonous. Some plants that are red
are poisonous, but not all.
10-4. The point is there is no one rule to aid in identifying poisonous
plants. You must make an effort to learn as much about them as possible.